When you are away from home, no matter where you go, it makes good sense to take extra care to ensure that your journey is safe and pleasant. We care about you here in Jamaica, so we’ve prepared some travel tips to help make sure your time with us is as enjoyable as possible.
- Use authorized transfer services and excursions. You don’t want to end up in the wrong hotel, paying another cab because the first one left you stranded.
- Use authorized pick-up points for rented cars, taxis and buses. There is a reason why they’re there.
- If you rent a car, remember to drive on the left and use your seat belts. Yes, we’re still driving on that side!
- Use credit cards or traveler’s checks for major purchases. You can use them almost anywhere and feel that your money is safe at all times. They are the best safety net in case anything goes awry.
- Use your hotel safe! – photo by Søren Mørk Petersen5) Store valuables in your safety deposit box. We know this may sound obvious, but you’d be surprised with how many people leave their jewelry lying about and then mysteriously disappearing.
- Take at least one sun block lotion. You’re used to it, it works for you. Take it with you! Hotel stores are well stocked, but they may offer higher prices than what you’re used to.
- Reserve your excursions with a renowned company. While small, local agencies may save you a couple of bucks, you don’t want to be disappointed when the tour you were promised is not quite what you expected.
- Don’t pack valuables (cash, jewelry etc.) in your checked luggage. Remember, luggage can get lost or accidentally sent overseas. Finding yourself in the airport without the cash you were counting on may not be the best feeling.
- Don’t leave your bags unattended. Always keep an eye on your things, especially in crowded airports.
- Don’t open your room door without identifying the caller. It’s a practice you do at home, carry it with you while you travel!
- Don’t invite strangers in your room. Once again, it’s not something you would do at home, would it?
- Don’t leave purses, cell phones, wallets or keys unattended or in plain sight when you’re at the pool or on the beach. Even if you tell your friendly sunbed neighbor to look after them, he may need a bathroom break or want to jump into the pool as well!
- Don’t pack medication in your checked luggage. Go back to item 1 on this list, and learn why!
Please bear in mind that local police and resort patrol officers are easily identified by their uniforms. They also wear badges and carry identification so in case of need, don’t be afraid to contact them. They’re there to help you!
Tourism is our number one industry in Jamaica. We are proud of our marvelous tradition of guest hospitality and regard every visitor to Jamaica as our special guest here. We want your visit to be special, for you to leave us with fond memories and eager to come back again soon. But we need you to help us make your vacation as wonderful as possible, so take care of yourself too 😉
Featured photo by Eric Bjerke.