From mid-May to mid-September, it’s possible for you to experience the adventure of a lifetime – swimming with the whale sharks. This incredible once-in-a-lifetime experience is definitely one that you don’t want to miss.
Swimming with Whale Sharks in Cancun
One of nature’s most impressive most incredible gatherings is held each year off the coast of Cancun. The season lasts from mid-May through approximately mid-September. Hundreds of the world’s biggest fish congregate in the warm tropical waters of the Mexican Caribbean to feast on plankton and tuna eggs. And yes it sounds like a fairytale but you actually can swim right next to the biggest fish on the entire planet!
But what do you need to know before taking the plunge?
- Although whale sharks have over 3,000 teeth, they are extremely tiny like small Velcro hooks. Its throat is only the size of a quarter. Anything bigger than that gets filtered or spit out.
- To this day, nobody knows where whale sharks mate.
- Whale sharks feed on microscopic organisms such as fish eggs, krill, and plankton.
- Whale sharks are actually sharks, not whales.
- Each whale shark has a unique pattern of white spots on their backs and sides. Due to this, all whale sharks actually look different.
- The whale sharks prefer warm waters. In rare occasions, they were noticed also off the coast of New York. The temperature is significantly lower.
As more and more people discover this extraordinary creature, it’s even more important to be conscious of its environment, about its preservation and care of these magnificent creatures. It’s now more important than ever to choose your tour operator wisely and preserve the whale shark.
As a sustainable company, EcoColors believes in sustainable tourism and giving the chance to visitors to enjoy amazing experiences while promoting environmental awareness and environmental education.