You’ve seen photos, videos, read articles and even dream about your bucket list trip to Jamaica and finally decided to book your trip. But now what?
Whether you are a first time visitor or practically a neighbor, we’d like to share some helpful Jamaica travel tips to keep in mind when visiting the land of reggae, blue mountain coffee, rum and jerk chicken. Check it out:
Here are 11 Jamaica travel tips to consider for your next visit from our local expert and colleague Angeline Carter, operations manager at Amstar DMC Jamaica.
1. There’s nothing like a Jamaican beef patty and an ice cold Redstripe Beer.
(Patties are also available in Chicken, shrimp and vegetable)
2. Jerk chicken is a Jamaican foodie staple and a must when you visit. You can opt for the mild jerk sauce or if you’re feeling brave, try the authentic Jamaican spicy jerk chicken.
3. Apart from its dreamy beaches, Jamaica is the land of waterfalls and these are a must when visiting. This is one of the reasons why we love Jamaica. You can choose the country’s crown jewel, Dunn’s River Falls or check out YS Falls or Blue Hole for example.
4. Feel right at home. The US dollar is widely accepted across the island so there’s no need to convert your currency.
5. Traveling outside your resort to see a bit of the real Jamaica is a must. Upon your arrival, you can visit your Amstar rep, a local expert, and he/she will provide you with some great insider information for your days out of the resort.
7. Cool tid bit: “Apples in Jamaica are often used to refer to the delicious otaheite apples (which look nothing like an apple as you know it) and avocados are referred to as “pears.”
8. For your arrival transfers, your Amstar DMC rep is located at Desk #10 inside the arrivals lobby at airport. Do not be intrigued by local taxi operators or time share offers.
9. Jamaica is a tropical, humid destination. Bring light clothing and drink lots of fluid to prevent dehydration. It is safe to drink the water.
10. Always use plenty of biodegradable sunscreen and insect repellent is also highly recommended.
11. It’s always handy to keep small bills for tipping and small purchases instead of carrying large amounts of cash.
Bonus tip! There is an Amstar representative at your hotel from 8:30 am to 5:30 pm with more local-expert tips. Stop by and say hi!