Altos de Chavon is one of the biggest attractions in La Romana. It is the recreation of a medieval European village with a Mediterranean ambiance and a great place for the most amazing pictures! In there, you can find a 5,000-seat Grecian style amphitheater that has provided an amazing setting for expositions and concerts by artists such as Frank Sinatra, Carlos Santana, Juan Luis Guerra, Brian Adams, and Shakira.
The Altos The Chavon amphitheater has been the perfect venue for many music videos, touring concerts, and private celebrations. Several artists have made live performances in this amphitheater, including Sting, Gloria Estefan, Marc Anthony, Spyro Gyra, Michel Camilo, Air Supply, Julio Iglesias, and Placido Domingo.
If you’re planning on traveling to the Dominican Republic, pay a visit to La Romana and check if there’s an event at Altos de Chavon coming up that you might be interested in. Just to give you a small idea, here’s a list of some of the most notable ones that have been held at the Altos de Chavon Amphitheater:
- August, 1982: Concert for the Americas, inaugural concert, performers included Frank Sinatra with Buddy Rich, Heart, and Santana.
- April 7, 2001: Duran Duran Sold Out concert, produced by Pedro Garcia.
- December 14, 2002: Luis Miguel performed the final show of his Mis Romances Tour.
- September, 2004: Alicia Keys filmed part of her video for Karma.
- October 30, 2004: The Pet Shop Boys concert.
- March 27, 2005: The Skip Festival with Alphaville, Kansas, and Air Supply.
- March 25, 2006: Aventura records a sold out show which becomes one of the DVDs shipped with K.O.B. Live.
- April 26, 2006: Juan Luis Guerra was invited to sing Fragile with Sting on the Broken Music tour.
- March 31, 2007: Julio Iglesias concert.
- July 14, 2007: Erasure performs a concert on their Light at the End of the World Live tour.
- April 30, 2009: Andrea Bocelli performed a concert on his Incanto Tour.
- May 29, 2010: Induction ceremony for the inaugural class of the Latino Baseball Hall of Fame.
- April 30, 2011: Duran Duran All You Need Is Now Tour, produced by Pedro Garcia.